Zapier: Site Reliability Engineer
We are seeking a seasoned Site Reliability Engineer to join our team! Working with our existing SRE team, you'll improve application reliability by using a software engineering approach to operations. You'll develop internal tools and systems for all engineering teams to use. Using site reliability principles and a robust approach to observability, you will not only fix problems but solve the issues that contributed to them when things go wrong.
This position works closely with Release Engineering and other engineering teams in our System's Zone to develop and maintain the tools and systems that support all of Zapier engineering. This role calls upon a broad range of experience and technologies. You'll get to interact with every engineering team in the organization. Maintaining excellent relationships and communicating effectively with those teams regularly is key to success.
Zapier is rapidly scaling and growing, and you will work directly on the applications that support over 5 million customers. When bad things happen, you'll have the support of your team to solve contributing causes, to learn from failures, and to build a robust and resilient system for our customers.
Building new features and services is a big part of this role. We are continually developing and implementing new ways to support our teams, understanding our customer's needs, and becoming experts in site reliability.
If you’re interested in taking your career to the next level at a fast-growing and profitable startup, then read on.
To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier:
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
We're looking for an experienced engineer who is eager to use software development approaches to operations. You should have a breadth of experience in software development, operations, and be actively practicing site reliability principles. There is a lot to learn, and we're continually improving our approaches to SRE. There are plenty of learning opportunities. We don't expect you to know it all.
Ideally, you'll have several years of experience in practicing infrastructure as code, including using tools like Ansible, Terraform, and using platforms like Kubernetes. Well-honed experience with the fundamentals of software development goes a long way here. Python and Go, we do it all. Generalists thrive in this role.
Writing is our primary means of communication, from pull requests, team chat, knowledge sharing, and communicating changes. Excellent writing skills are crucial to success here at Zapier. We are 100% remote and commonly work asynchronously. We even wrote a book on it
You should feel comfortable taking a default to action. Most decisions are changeable. It's better to deliver something real today over something maybe better later. Sharing context, goals, objectives, and in-progress work in public helps us all achieve a common goal.
Things You’ll Do
- Develop new methods for retaining task history
- Migrating applications and services from EC2 to Kubernetes
- Write custom Kubernetes controllers to improve resilience
- Create deployment pipelines in ArgoCD
- Develop autoscaling strategies to handle bursts in workloads
- Implementing OPA to enforce policies across our Kubernetes Clusters
- Deploying ProxySQL for pooling connections against MySQL databases
- Have an enormous impact working closely with teams across the organization. Be an advocate for site reliability principles.
- As a part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth
Our distributed environment lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US, Canada, and UK based employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct
provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
To apply: https://grnh.se/bad824552