Gimkit: Customer Support Representative
Headquarters: Seattle, WA
Hey there! We're looking for a Customer Support Representative to join our team in providing amazing customer support to educators around the world. Gimkit currently is just three people — you'll increase the size of our team by 33%!
About the Job
Once fully up to speed, you’ll be the one responsible for providing outstanding customer service and support, primarily over email. You’ll help answer questions on Twitter, create and edit help documentation, and perhaps host some classes. You’ll also have opportunities to carve out your own passion projects related to supporting educators and students.
While we're helping you get on board, you’ll be expected to be proactive in your process and learn quickly.
Written communication is a huge part of this role - you’ll write about 100 emails per day. This is a significant volume, so be sure that you’re ready and able to deal with that kind of daily load — you’ll get all the support and guidance you need along the way!
There are three main parts of this job. The largest is responding to customers and supporting them in finding the information and solutions they need. The second is creating content to help customers before they reach out. The final part is communicating to us. You'll be the one communicating with customers every day and you'll be their advocate on the product development side.
You're a great writer and love helping educators. You enjoy making complicated situations simple and delightful. As a result, you're a great problem-solver who can process and resolve issues quickly. You're a stellar communicator, even when you have to communicate less-than-stellar news.
You're as compassionate and empathetic as they come - you have a drive to constantly help others.
Deep technical knowledge of computer programming is not required, but you have a solid understanding of common issues with web-based software and how to get information to help us solve them.
You feel comfortable speaking up about your values. We make change from fresh perspectives and appreciate new viewpoints. Your voice matters to us.
You love supporting people. This isn’t a springboard into another area at Gimkit. You want to handle Gimkit's support for a while, and you’re excited to contribute to making Gimkit the best product for our customers.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Gimkit is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career while being yourself.
Pay + Benefits
We believe in fair, living wages no matter where you live. To do this, we pay 30% more than the average person makes in your city with the same role and experience.
However, tech salaries have gone up much quicker than customer support salaries. If you live in San Francisco and got paid 30% better than the average Customer Support Representative, you would get paid $53,000 a year. That's not a fair, living wage. So, we've decided to pay whichever is higher: $65,000 a year or 30% more than the average person makes in your city with the same role and experience.
We don't do bonuses at Gimkit. Instead, we share Gimkit's profits across all employees. Typically, each employee takes home thousands extra every year.
Our benefits are all aimed at supporting a life well lived away from work. None are designed to try to make you work longer hours or force you into staying around for a job you don't like.
- ? Health, dental, and vision insurance: 100% premiums for you and 50% premiums for your dependents
- ? Flexible time-off policy with a 10 day a year minimum
- ? $1,000 a year charitable donation match
- ❄️ 2 week paid winter break at the end of each year
- ? 5 paid days per year to volunteer in Education
- ? 401k match up to 6% of salary
- ? $100 a month health stipend (gym membership, massage, meditation app subscription)
- ? Profit-sharing
- ? 3 months paid maternity and paternity leave
- ?️ $350 a month working budget (for co-working space, coffee shop, home office improvement)
- ✈️ Work remotely. At home, co-working space, or coffee shop, it's up to you. Your salary will adapt to fit the cost of living wherever you live
- ? And while this shouldn't need to be mentioned under benefits, we think it's worthwhile to bring up work-week hours. Only about 12% of startup employees work 40 hours a week or less (https://stateofstartups2019.firstround.com/). We're part of that 12%. We're not interested in crazy hours.
Finally, we think it's important to mention we're not VC funded. We're completely bootstrapped. We're running a profitable, sustainable business where we can afford to pay well and offer great benefits while making something people love.
If you want to join us in making our customers happy, please apply!
How to Apply
Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Show us your future here! We value great writers, so be yourself, be creative, and take your time with the application. There’s no prize for being the first to submit! Stock cover letters won’t do. Tell us why you want this job. Tell us about:
- Why you want to work in customer support.
- A description of a great customer service/support experience you had recently, and what made it great.
- A time you taught yourself a new skill to complete a job or project.
Then, pick three of the customer questions below and answer them like you would if you worked here (hint: at this point, we value tone and style over correctness):
- How do you create a Class?
- Why does Gimkit cost money?
- Does Gimkit have the ability to export a report to a CSV file?
- My students told me they completed an Assignment, but it's not showing up on my end.
- How do I cancel my subscription?
Email your application and/or questions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. We’re accepting applications for this position until March 15th.
We’ll let you know that we’ve received your application. After that, you probably shouldn't expect to hear back from us until after the application deadline has passed. We want to give everyone a fair chance to apply and be evaluated.
We’re seeking fluent English speakers/writers to work with us to answer customer inquiries via email during regular business hours Monday through Friday.
We’re a remote company, so your location isn’t as important as your fit for the role. That said, we do prefer that your daytime hours coincide with your working hours so as to avoid night shift burnout. Remember to tell us where you’re located!
We look forward to hearing from you!
To apply: email@example.com